This summer, earn the title of Grill Master with a series of gourmet BBQ menu ideas that are sure to impress. Whether you’re looking for easy BBQ ideas for a crowd or want to kick it up a notch with some upscale BBQ menu ideas, grilling is an easy way to prepare a variety of delicious meats. Here are three gourmet BBQ ideas to try this grilling season.
Idea #1: Herb-Infused Tomahawk Steak
If you’re looking to feed your inner caveman, this is the cut of meat for you. Tomahawk steaks are essentially a bone-in ribeye – named for their shape, which resembles a tomahawk ax.
This meat is taken from the muscles beneath a cow’s ribs. Since these muscles don’t work very hard, Tomahawk steaks are extremely tender and make for a delicious meal.
How to Grill an Herb-Infused Tomahawk Steak
Tomahawk cuts are huge. Each cut is about two inches thick and weighs about three pounds. These cuts make a highly impressive presentation, and they’re packed with flavor, so you really don’t have to do much to them to create a gourmet dish.
Follow these steps for an herb-infused Tomahawk steak that makes the grade:
- Massage your favorite rub or seasonings onto all sides of the steak and let rest at room temperature for a half hour.
- You’ll use two-zone cooking with direct and indirect heat, so prepare your grill accordingly.
- Give the meat a light coating of steak rub and sear over the hot side of the BBQ for 2.5 minutes.
- Turn the meat to form grill marks and cook for another 2.5 minutes.
- Flip the meat and repeat.
- Set the steak onto the cool side of the grill. Beneath it, place a shallow pan of butter, rosemary, garlic, olive oil, and thyme.
- Every 10 minutes, baste the meat until it reaches your preferred temperature.
- Let the meat rest on your cutting board for 10 minutes before slicing.
Interested in giving this simple BBQ idea a try? Our 40oz Upper Prime Dry Aged Tomahawk Steak is sure to make an impression!
Idea #2: American Wagyu Filet Mignon with Mushroom Brown Butter Sauce
Filet mignon is the center cut of a beef tenderloin. Also protected by the rib cage, it’s a muscle that doesn’t get overworked, so it’s an exceptionally tender piece of meat. Filet mignon is particularly lean, which means it doesn’t have much intramuscular fat, so it cooks quicker than a ribeye or strip steak.
American Wagyu filet mignon comes from a mix of purebred Wagyu and traditional cattle breeds. The resulting meat is the best of both worlds. It has a delectable buttery marbling from Wagyu beef and the rich beefy flavor found in American cattle.
Mushroom Brown Butter Sauce Recipe
Ahead of time, prepare the mushroom brown butter sauce to top your delicious filet mignon:
- Simply sauté mushrooms in a pan until caramelized.
- Add butter to the pan. As the water cooks away, the butter will become brown and take on a nutty flavor.
- Add any other seasonings you’d like as they’ll infuse the brown butter with additional flavor.
- Set aside until meat is cooked.
How to Grill Wagyu Filet Mignon
For a fancy BBQ recipe that uses this incredible meat, consider this grilled filet mignon with mushroom brown butter sauce:
- Give the steaks a simple seasoning. Consider kosher salt, granulated garlic, and pepper – they don’t detract from the natural flavors of the meat. Allow the meat to come to room temperature.
- Cook the meat over direct heat. When it gets a slight crust, flip it over and cook the other side.
- With a crust on both sides, move the meat to the indirect heat side of the grill so it doesn’t overcook.
- These lean cuts will cook fast, and they’ll continue to cook even after moving them. Take them off the grill a little early so they’ll cook to your desired temperature.
- Let the steak rest awhile, then slice to serve. Cut against the grain, perpendicular to the lines of the muscle. This ensures you get a soft, buttery texture.
- Spoon mushroom brown butter over meat and serve.
Selecting the right piece of meat is important for the success of any recipe. Choose from our portfolio of quality Wagyu meats and have it delivered right to your door.
Idea #3: Slow-Grilled Rack of Lamb with Mustard, Herbs, and Caramelized Onion Jam
Rack of lamb is cut from the ribs and is a highly tender cut of meat.
For a more impressive presentation, rack of lamb is usually French-trimmed, where the meat is removed from the ends of the bones for a more finished look. Rack of lamb isn’t hard to prepare, though it looks extremely difficult. It certainly qualifies as a gourmet grill idea for your summer fare.
Caramelized Onion Jam Recipe
Prepare your caramelized onion jam ahead of time:
- Heat olive oil in a pot, then add onions and cook on high heat. Stir occasionally for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Bundle together with kitchen twine bay leaves, rosemary, and parsley, and add it to the pot. Cook over low heat, and give an occasional stir, for about three minutes.
- Sprinkle sugar onto the onions and let melt for about five minutes.
- Turn heat to high and cook for about six minutes or until caramelizing.
- Stir in white balsamic vinegar and let simmer over low heat until the jam thickens.
- Throw away the herb bundle and season the jam with salt. Let cool.
How to Properly Grill a Rack of Lamb
When you’re ready to cook your meat, follow these steps:
- Season your lamb with salt and pepper and spread the thick sides of the meat with Dijon mustard. Add rosemary, thyme, and parsley to the mustard.
- Meaty side down, sear the rack of lamb on the grill over high heat until brown (about six minutes).
- Flip rack’s bone side down and set the heat to low, or move the meat to indirect heat. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until the temperature reaches 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Set the lamb onto a carving board and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Carve the rack into chops and serve along with the caramelized onion jam.
To prepare this recipe, order a beautiful, high-quality rack of lamb today.
Choose from a Selection of World-Class Meat for Your Gourmet BBQ Ideas
Gourmet BBQ ideas don’t have to be complicated recipes. They’re all about selecting prime meats and adding extra flavor.
At Holy Grail Steak Co., we know that you value the quality of your food. That’s why we provide an incredible selection of world-class steaks and meats for all your summer BBQ ideas. Expertly butchered and carefully packaged, our state-of-the-art shipping means we deliver perfectly aged meat every time.